Clemson United Methodist Church [CUMC] is seeking a dynamic individual to lead our well-established and vibrant youth ministry and act as the music director for our modern worship service, The Vine. CUMC is located in the college town of Clemson, SC, approximately halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte and 30 minutes from downtown Greenville, SC. CUMC is a growing congregation of 1000+ members with an average weekly worship attendance of 500+.
75+ youth participate in all youth programs, e.g., Sunday nights, Confirmation, small groups, weekly prayer breakfasts, retreats, and mission opportunities. The Christian Life Center [CLC] has dedicated space for youth including a large multi-use room, a lounge, and a game room. In addition, the CLC includes a gym and event space, a commercial kitchen, and a variety of outdoor spaces.
The Vine is a worshipping community that meets at 10:30AM each Sunday in our CLC. The service blends traditional and contemporary elements of worship. The band leads both contemporary worship songs and modern versions of traditional hymns. The Vine also incorporates a time of prayer, an inspiring message, and celebrates the sacrament of Holy Communion each week.
Our church is dedicated to “Making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” Please see the following pages for more information:
- Our Beliefs & Vision: http://clemsonumc.org/learn/beliefs/
- Staff Team: http://clemsonumc.org/learn/staff-team/
- Youth Ministry: http://clemsonumc.org/connect/youth/
- Information about The Vine: http://clemsonumc.org/vine/
Reports to: Senior Pastor and Pastor of Spiritual Formation
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Status: Full time
The Director of Youth Ministries and Worship Leader for the Vine will provide dynamic leadership and oversight to the youth ministry program at Clemson United Methodist Church, equipping youth and their families to grow in their faith and discipleship. They will develop and direct The Vine band, guide the music leadership for The Vine worship service, and work collaboratively for the purpose of providing an engaging, meaningful and high-quality worship experience.
- Spiritual Maturity – Demonstrates a mature faith and is constantly growing and maturing in their own spiritual life.
- Interpersonal Skills – Demonstrates the ability to lead others. Demonstrates the skills of active listening. Productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Relates easily with a variety of personalities. Demonstrates the ability to work well with others, focusing on cooperation, seeking solutions through mutual sharing. Creates an atmosphere of trust and connectivity.
Biblical and Theological Knowledge –Engages in biblical and theological reflection that is informed and sensitive to a United Methodist context. Allows for diversity of thought within the faith community.
Leadership Development –Develops leaders from both adult and youth participants in the program. Provides informed training and guidance to those who provide leadership in the program. Focuses on leading not just a small group of worship team members but the entire worshipping community in song and praise.
- Organization – Understands the necessity of short and long range planning and clear communication with youth and families. Realizes that in order for goals and targets to be achieved, people affected must be a major part of the planning and implementation process.
- Musical Knowledge: Demonstrates a broad knowledge of music, including a variety of genres and styles, that can be utilized in a contemporary context.
- Develop and maintain a holistic youth program for persons in middle and high school that fosters Christian growth and maturity in a community of grace.
- Promote and equip small group ministries for youth at CUMC.
- Continue to develop a network of spiritually gifted leaders to work with youth in a variety of ministries. Current groups include a parent council, youth leadership team, and youth leaders.
- Develop and maintain strong relational connections with youth, including attending schools and extracurricular events in which youth are participating.
- Nurture intergenerational relationships.
- Plan and lead local, regional, and international mission opportunities.
- Oversee the Confirmation journey along with the Pastor of Spiritual Formation.
- Oversee music selection for The Vine in keeping with United Methodist theology as outlined in The Book of Discipline, connected to the text/theme of the day, in consultation with the Pastor of Spiritual Formation.
- Recruit and retain members for The Vine band, recognizing the goal of increasing participation in worship leadership.
- Provide sheet music and recordings to The Vine band.
- Prepared for and conduct weekly rehearsals with The Vine band.
- Coordinate with the Director of Production Ministries to plan A/V for The Vine.
- Incorporate a variety of styles, including traditional music in a contemporary form.
- Purchase or otherwise obtain music for The Vine.
- Implement a plan to ensure adherence with copyright law.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in Church Council meetings as a non-voting staff member.
- Maintain appropriate recordkeeping.
- Work cooperatively with other ministry areas of the church, e.g., children’s ministry, Clemson Wesley college ministry, and other intergenerational ministries.
- Follow CUMC’s Safe Sanctuary policy in all facets of ministry.
- Create a music portfolio that is balanced and wide.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Ability to lead music.
- Familiarity with CCLI and/or other licensing services.
- Able to work in different settings and participate in activities with youth.
- Able to operate church bus for youth-related activities. No CDL is required.
- Able to set up and take down musical instruments and sound equipment.
Submit resume and a 3-5 minute (maximum) video statement of your philosophy of youth ministry along with the names and contact information for at least 3 references to Anne Eldridge at [email protected] The review of applications will begin May 18th. Position will remain open until filled.
Contact the chair of the search committee, Bob Brookover, with questions at [email protected] or 864-723-5917.